Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Un-namable "After-SPM-results" Period.

As you know, the annual SPM results come out around late March. 
After that happens, the annual Q&A period of how many As one scored comes up. Following that is the golden question regarding the next level of education. 

Often encountering this situation, I smile and tell people I'm not in college yet but I am waiting for my intake for A Levels, and avoid further questions because,
1) Most of them only ask because they are nosey, "kia-su" and are there to compare.
2) Majority of them don't genuinely give a flying unicorn about you. 
3) You will probably become the next thing they gossip about.
*The 3 points above are subject to individuals and is applied to people other than immediate family and close friends*

Some people tell me I'm wasting time and they ask me why not start college earlier. My reply is simple, because I don't want to rush into college just yet and I want to spend time doing things I want to do. Me. Myself & I.
Secondly, because technically September is the only intake other than January. 

After that, they ask how am I lazing and wasting the days aways while waiting for the intake. 
How am I spending my free time? Well, i spend it wisely. Let's see.

I have an amazing part time job.
I spend even more time with my family, especially my mum.
I do spend time with my friends.
I spend personal time with God. Amen.
I pick up cooking and new recipes.
I learn more songs on the instruments.
I can travel to another state, or country nearby.
I read books I've always wanted to read.
I read up on law and even more literature to grasp whatever I can before college.
I continue drawing and painting (even though I'm mediocre.)
I continue creative writing as well as photo/movie-making.
I learn new things every day.

So no, I don't think it's a waste of time because I'm doing everything that makes me really happy.

I had a few people (Adults) who actually told me upfront to my face that my choice in A-Levels is apparently to them, "a waste of time" and once, an incredibly harsh and ignorant woman (a spinster even though she was married), told me that I wasn't confident and didn't know what i want.
I told them all with a smile that it is my choice and decision to go for A Levels, as I preferred having numerous options for university and my career in the future. Yes, the plan is Law all the way, but what's the harm in having even more options? Why not? I obviously do know what I want. I even know what type of house I'd like and how I'd like to sue ignorant snots in the high court in the future. Thank God. I have aims, goals and visions but there is no harm in wanting to expand. I'm very thankful to God that I have a family who loves and supports me all the way.

I think that each course, IB, A-Levels, Diploma, Foundation etc are all designed for different individuals with different preferences. That is why i don't believe that one is better than the other as each of us are made differently. If some ignorant, half-assed, small minded nincompoop has the guts to tell you straight to your face that you're in the wrong direction, build up the courage to tell them what you really feel. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions but then, an empty vessel makes the most noise. 

So yes, this is what's happening. Dear juniors, if you are reading this, this is what to expect annually. All the best and May the Odds be ever in your Favor!



No comments:

Post a Comment